Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Top 5 Countdown: Adios Ohio!

It's that time again.  Time to move!  We are in the process of packing up and moving to Missouri.  While we were never attached to Columbus or Ohio we will definitely miss a few businesses that are unique to this area.


5.  Graeter's and Jeni's 

Graeter's ice cream is amazingly delicious and rich.  It's all about the chocolate chunks.  We have enjoyed it 3 or 4 times since moving to Columbus.....we might have to squeeze it in one more time! 

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams are made from local and sometime organic ingredients with artisan/gourmet flavors like salty caramel and wildberry lavender.  The dark chocolate and buckeye state ice creams and the lemon frozen yogurt are my favorites but I would love to try more!



4.  Skyline Chili

In my experience people either love or hate Skyline's "Greek inspired" chili served on spaghetti and piled high with cheese.  My parents were not fans when they visited but we will definitely be stopping there to eat one more time before we head out of town! 

3.  IKEA 

IKEA isn't exactly unique to Ohio, but it is somewhat unique to the Midwest (take a look at the U.S. locations map - huge hole in the middle of the country).  We have lived in Columbus 18 months and gone to the West Chester location 3 times and purchased many pieces of furniture and toys and I would like to buy more!  Once in Missouri, the closest location will be 7 hours away in Dallas, TX.  IKEA, time to build a store in Kansas City!

2.  Eddie Bauer Warehouse Store

This is a huge store in an industrial area with tons of deals and the farther into the store you explore the better the discounts (a whole wall of $10 women's jeans).  With their free rewards card and the 20% off coupons in the Columbus Entertainment Book I have snagged some great deals!  I will so miss this place!


1.  Meijer 

With double coupons, great deals on local and regional produce and mperks (can stack mperks coupons with manufacturer coupons) I have saved a ton shopping at Meijer.  The girls love the wall of fish tanks in the pet section and Lucy always has to ride Sandy the horse (it's only 1 penny)!


Since we are moving to a smaller city we will also miss stores like Costco, Trader Joe's and World Market but that just gives us another reason to visit my sister in Kansas City!

I will need a few weeks to pack, move, and then unpack everything (exhausting) and then I'll be back with new projects!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget Donato's and The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you'll be missing out on some things, most definitely. But don't forget, we have Andy's Frozen Custard, Lambert's, Casper's...I can't even list them all. I think we have more restaurants per capita than most other cities. :D I would love it if we could get a World Market. There was one in Lafayette & I shopped there all the time.

    And we have Marshalls, Gordman's, TJ Maxx, AND finally a Ross, so there's a good bit of discount shopping!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!